Holiday Safety Tips for Pets
HOLIDAY SAFETY TIPS
Many normal food items are toxic to pets; such as chocolate, raisins, garlic, onions and more. Do not feed “people” food to pets for their safety. Check ingredients with your vet or on-line.
GUESTS COMING AND GOING
Busy social gatherings, repair people, etc. can set the scene for a door left open a few seconds too long. You may be distracted and not realize your pet made a dash outside. Create a closed safe place for your pet during any unusual activity. You will have peace of mind and your pet will appreciate the quiet (especially cats).
Check with your vet immediately if you note a change in your pet’s behavior, eating, energy level, etc. It is possible that he/she got into something without your knowledge.
Be sure that your pet has updated tags and/or microchip.
Pretty & festive ornaments can pose a danger to pets. Tinsel, small ornaments, fake berries, narrow ribbon and especially rubber bands can all entice exploration. If swallowed, they can be fatal.
STABILITY OF CHRISTMAS TREE
some cats may climb the tree and topple it. It can be a mess; but also can injure the cat (sprains, broken leg, etc). It is best to secure your tree to the wall/ceiling.
CHEMICALS IN CHRISTMAS TREE WATER
In your effort to prolong tree life, you may pose a toxic risk to pets.
PLANTS AND FLOWERS
Mistletoe and holly are toxic to cats, and poinsettia mildly so. Be on the safe side and keep flowers and greenery out of reach, including fake greenery.
FIREPLACE AND CANDLE HAZARDS
Pets and open flames don’t mix. Be cautious with candles for the safety of pets and children.